Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Pint Sized Project - Paint Chip Mosaic

I am a big copy cat these days. There is so much fabulous inspiration out in blog land and it's way easier to do my own version of what someone else has done than to stress my brain to come up with something new . . . especially when coming up with ideas for my kids. Sometimes my brain is just fried!

So due to seeing several paint chip mosaics around blog land, I've been thinking for a while about making my own. I managed to pick up these GIANT paint chip samples from the Dutch Boy display at Walmart yesterday. And since they had so many darling shades, I picked up only Valentine's colors!! Pinks and purples just for Sweet Pea. After quiet time yesterday we went to work.


We started by modpodging a piece of tissue paper to some corrugated plastic. Turned out this step was a waste of time. You couldn't see the back ground anyway!





Then I trimmed the huge paint chips into 3.5 x 3.5 squares. I just didn't want the huge Dutch Boy logo on our mosaic. Then we glued them down. First we tried ModPodge but it made the corners curl up so we switched to some tacky craft glue. I put down the glue, Jojo picked the colors and Sweet Pea pasted them down.


Then we left to to dry overnight while we ate our roast chicken and asparagus for supper. Yes, the kids really do eat asparagus, and brussel sprouts too!


I went back and hot glued down a few curling up corners. I considered more modpodge but decided against it. Instead I dressed it up a bit with a bit of ribbon hot glued around the edges and added to the mantel.






Yeah, the lines are bit crooked and there's some stray glue, but that's what the projects the kids help with are all about right?? I'm thinking this will look really cute in Sweet Pea's room after Valentine's Day too!






4 comments:

  1. Saw your post on Sew Much Ado's blog link party and love this! I'm a huge collector of paint chips myself and this just looks super-cute and fabulous (even for grown-ups)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a paint chip mosaic awhile back and had the curling corner issue too. I love that you turned this into a kid craft! I'd love for you to come link up at Fun For Kids Friday.

    http://smilemonsters.blogspot.com/2011/01/fun-for-kids-friday.html

    Jo @ SmileMonsters

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with your statement "the lines are bit crooked and there's some stray glue, but that's what the projects the kids help with are all about right??" Thanks for linking up with us on Fun for Kids Friday. http://www.localfunforkids.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for letting me know what you think! I really do appreciate every comment and will do my best to respond to any question you may have!