Pages

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Pumpkin Scones




I've made these about once a week since the beginning of October and I can't stop. These are the reason I had to bust my butt at boot camp this morning and will be back at the YMCA for Zumba in the morning. I love them, Sweet Pea loves them, Jojo loves them and my scone hating husband loves them. Fluffy, spicy, moist. Try them. They come together quickly enough to make for a week day breakfast and taste pretty good the next day if stored in an air tight container. Many thanks to my friend Vicki for passing this one on!


Scone Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 stick cold or frozen butter (1/4 cup)
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 egg

Directions:
Mix first 8 ingredients together. Cut in butter. In separate bowl, mix pumpkin, cream and egg together. . Shape dough into disk on sprayed pizza stone or rectangle (3 inches wide by 1 inch think) on parchment lined baking sheet. Cut into wedges. Pull wedges apart so all sides are exposed. Or you can do what I do and scoop them out with a cookie scoop. Makes them a bit smaller for the kids. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Stick fork in center of largest wedge. It should come out clean. In not, bake another 5 minutes.


So I like to cheat and use 2 big teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice ! Here is the great and wonderful Jojo cutting in the butter for me @ 6:15 am
It should look about like this before you add the wet ingredients. Small crumbs.
I mix the cream, pumpkin & egg together and then dump into a well made in the dry ingredients.
And then, because they are so darn good, I add about 1/2 cup cinnamon chips. Just like chocolate chips but cinnamon flavored. They can be hard to find (aka Walmart doesn't carry them) but they are worth it in this recipe. When I am out of cinnamon chips, I stir in 1/2 cup dried cranberries. Chocolate chips would be good too.
I stir it all up with a big silicone scraper type thing. Do NOT over mix these or they will be like sad dry lumps in your belly. Just mix until all the flour is incorporated.
Don't leave the heavy cream sitting on the counter when a small person is helping. He was chugging it straight out of the carton. I forgave him because his milk mustache is so cute!  And this picture freaks me out a little because he looks exactly like my dad here!
So the directions say to make this into circle and cut it into wedges but I use a scoop instead. Makes for smaller scones, 10 -12 instead of 8 wedges.

And then you bake. And then comes the drizzle. mmmm


Frosting Ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tb canned pumpkin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup heavy cream

Mix first 6 ingredients. Drizzle cream in while whisking until frosting reaches molasses consistency.



Pair these with whatever you wish!  It was cheese and an apple for me!




1 comment:

  1. Found some in my freezer today and am thinking about getting them out. I haven't had them in a long time and it's a good day for a warm tasty scone!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for letting me know what you think! I really do appreciate every comment and will do my best to respond to any question you may have!