Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmas Dinner - Stained Glass Window Jello



I apologize in advanced to those of you who are here looking for craft ideas. Why?? Because this is the time of year where I spend way too much time in the kitchen. And if I'm in the kitchen I'm not crafting. If I'm not crafting I'm not sharing them here. SO yeah, there may be a few more recipe posts here in the next few weeks because that's what I'm up too.

Today I'm sharing the recipe for Stained Glass Window Jello. This is a staple at Christmas dinner at my mom's house. We only make it once a year for that meal. In fact, making it for this tutorial was strange for me and eating it before Christmas dinner with my family was even stranger! Also, making it alone, rather than with the help of my mom and sisters was strange too. I forgot how time consuming it can be. It's one of those do a bit now, wait, and do some more later recipes. The end result is a really gorgeous jello salad for the holidays!


This is the shopping list for this recipe:

1 small pkg orange jello
1 small pkg lime jello
1 small pkg strawberry (or cherry) jello
1 small pkg lemon jello
1 big can crushed pineappple
1/4 cup sugar
1 carton Cool Whip


I pkg each of orange, lime, and strawberry jello. Make with 1 cup boiling water and 1/2 cup cold water. Pour each into an 8 inch pan (or close - can even use 8 inch round cake pans). Let set up overnight.
Then drain 1 big can of crushed pineapple. Heat 1 cup of pineapple juice and 1/4 cup sugar to boiling. Add 1 pkg lemon jello. Then add 1/2 cup cold water. Let this set up for awhile. This is tricky. You want it syrupy, but not set. Check it in an hour. Mix with 1 carton Cool Whip. Fold in crushed pineapple. Then cut colored jellos into cubes and fold into jello/cool whip mixture. Let set up for at least 6 hours.

Start by making your three flavors of jello.

You will mix each packet with one cup boiling water, stir to dissolve jello & add one cup cold water.
Stir, stir, stir and then pour into 8 inch square containers to set. Pie plates or cake pans  work fine too.
Later, after you first three flavors of jello have set up, drain the can of crushed pineapple, reserving the juice. Take one cup pineapple juice and add 1/4 cup sugar. Heat until boiling.
Remove from heat and add 1 package lemon jello.
Put this mixture in the fridge and let sit for approximately one hour, or until it is thick and syrupy. It took about 90 minutes for me. DON'T try to rush this in the freezer. I tried that the first time. It was a disaster. While that sets, cut your three flavors of jello into one inch cubes and spread in a 9 x 13 inch pan.
 If you wish, let your kids, husband or dog eat the jello "crumbs". They will be happy.



When the lemon jello has reached the proper consistency, mix with one container of cool whip.
And stir in the crushed pineapple you drained earlier.
Pour this mixture over your jello cubes and spread evenly. Refrigerate overnight or until jello is set. Cut and serve.

Really, you could use any flavor of jello in this recipe. Just red and green for Christmas. Just red flavors for valentines day. Red & Blue for fourth of July. I think it'd be tasty any time! For me it is a Christmas dish and I can't wait to have it again in a few weeks!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for letting me know what you think! I really do appreciate every comment and will do my best to respond to any question you may have!