Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

Cranberry Fluff


So you still need an idea for a side to bring to Thanksgiving dinner, right?? Okay, maybe not, but you should still try this. It's been a staple at my mom's Thanksgiving table for as long as I can recall and was at my Grandma's before that. Nine years ago when I started celebrating Thanksgiving with my husband's family instead of my own, it became my contribution. In my opinion, it's the perfect combination of sweet and tart and it must be good because my kids were sneaking it by the handful out of the fridge last night. Enjoy it for Thanksgiving, or anytime of year.

Cranberry Fluff
2 cups frozen cranberries
1 cup sugar
2 cups mini marshmallows
1 cup drained crushed pineapple
1 container of cool whip


Start with your cranberries. Put them in the freezer overnight.

Throw your cranberries in the food processor and grind them up. I think a blender would also work and I know that an old fashioned meat grinder will work. (Don't ask about the meat grinder)
Add one cup of sugar, stir and let stand for at least two hours.
This is what it will look like. The cranberries mix with the sugar and get sweet and juicy.
Next you will mix in one cup of crushed pineapple & one cup of mini marshmallows. The original recipe says to let this sit over night but I just stir them in and add the cool whip and get this. Actually much more than this but before I could take a photo I sampled it, the kids sampled it, the next door neighbor sampled it, we all sampled it some more.
I feel like a bit of a cheater for making this early but I wanted to share it here. And, I don't have to make it for my husband's family since we aren't making the trek to northern Wisconsin this year. Hopefully, I'll be eating my mom's version of this recipe!

Also, if you wish, you can serve this frozen or add nuts.

Cranberry Fluff
2 cups frozen cranberries
1 cup sugar
2 cups mini marshmallows
1 cup drained crushed pineapple
1 container of cool whip


Grate cranberries (I use a mini food processor) and mix with sugar. Let stand 2 hours. Add pineapple & marshmallows and refrigerate overnight. Add cool whip before serving. You may need to drain off some of the "juice" before mixing in the cool whip to keep it from being too soupy.





2 comments:

  1. That has been a staple in my family for generations as well. Now, only my mom and aunt eat it, but it's still there. When I'm hosting, they get a serving in a footed dish or individual ramekin.

    Michelle @everyday celebrating

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for letting me know what you think! I really do appreciate every comment and will do my best to respond to any question you may have!